The 181st Anniversary of the arrival of the indentured labourers in Mauritius was commemorated at the Aapravasi Ghat on 2nd Nov 2015.
The commemoration started at 10.00 hrs with a wreath laying in memory of indentured labourers who passed through the gates of the Aapravasi Ghat. The following dignitaries laid a wreath by the steps of the Aapravasi Ghat:
• Hon Charles Gaëtan Xavier-Luc Duval, GCSK, Acting Prime Minister
• Hon Showkutally Soodhun, GCSK, Vice-Prime Minister,
Minister of Housing and Lands
• Hon Ivan Leslie Collendavelloo, GCSK, Vice-Prime Minister,
Minister of Energy and Public Utilities
• Hon Santaram Baboo, Minister of Arts and Culture
• Hon Paul Raymond Bérenger, GCSK, Leader of the Opposition
• H. E. Mr Vyacheslav Nikiforov, Ambassador, Russian Federation and Dean of Diplomatic Corps
• H.E. Shri Anup Kumar Mudgal, High Commissioner of the Republic of India
• Mr Mohammad Oumar Kholeegan, Lord Mayor, Municipal Council of Port-Louis
• Mr Dharam Yash Deo Dhuny, Chairperson, Aapravasi Ghat Trust Fund Board
After the wreath laying, Mr Dharam Yash Deo Dhuny, Chairman of the Aapravasi Ghat Trust Fund welcomed the dignitaries and the public to the official commemoration.
His welcome address was followed by a SLAM in Hindi by Ms N. Gunga.
After this cultural item, H.E. Shri Anup Kumar Mudgal, High Commissioner of the Republic of India, addressed his speech.
His speech was followed by a SLAM in Bhojpuri by Mr R. Mohabeer.
After the SLAM in Bhojpuri, Hon. S. Baboo, Minister of Arts and Culture gave a speech with an impress upon heritage and its revival.
After the speech of the Minister of Arts and Culture, Hon. Charles Gaëtan Xavier-Luc Duval, GCSK, Acting Prime Minister, gave a speech and launched a booklet on Antoinette “Phooliyar” written by Satyendra Peerthum, Historian at the AGTF.
Hon. Charles Gaëtan Xavier-Luc Duval, GCSK, was taken for a guided visit of the Beekrumsing Ramlallah Interpretation Centre and of the Aapravasi Ghat WorldHeritage Property.